Some thoughts after not talking for 6 days.

 

Last week, I drove 100 miles north from Salem OR. and parked my borrowed car at Cloud Mountain Retreat Center. Inspired by friends and readings, I wanted to be on retreat with others seeking to deepen our meditation practice. This would be a retreat held in noble silence, no speaking, reading, phones or other digital devices.  

As I walked the grounds at Cloud Mountain, I would reach in my pocket to discover that there was nothing there.  No oblong device there, my pocket had achieved what we retreatants were leaning into: emptiness.  If you attend a 6 day retreat and maintain silence for the duration, stuff happens. Questions come up: who am I?, why am I?, what's my next step? Having a daily meditation practice as I have for a number of years is helpful, but for what?  Sometimes I think my meditation is done in order to check a box to get credit in the category of “spirituality”. As in, "if I don’t go to religious services, pray, chant, perform sacred rituals, or meditate, no box will be checked on the form that is to be handed in to the professor at the end of the incarnation". Maybe I’ll write about meditation practice some other time, but the topic for today is death because, well, because it's today's topic.

In one of the dharma talks, our teacher mentioned her belief in reincarnation.  As my mind rambled down the pathways of judgement and wonder that it always rambles down when that topic comes up, a new path seemed to appear, the path that leads to "belief".  Our teacher explained: individual selves or individual consciousnesses after the physical body dies might be not like drops in the ocean, but like currents. That metaphor had resonance with me. But isn’t reincarnation “implausible” because where would all those souls go?  I mean, everyone who’s ever lived?  Well, now that I think about it yet again, two things.  One, there are so many life-forms on this planet that there will always be at least  millions of opportunities to re-incarnate for each human who dies. And secondly, even if one always reincarnates into human form…I just can’t finish this sentence, too ineffable. If you consider the “beginning” (big bang?  God’s hand?), one can twist the mind around enough to conceptualize a process of consciousnesses moving like a wave thru the ocean of evolution.  Then there's the doctrine of the Law of Karma. I don’t have a clue as to “how” the ledger is kept regarding karma.  That is, who or what is “doing” the cosmic sorting that will ordain the future direction of this current that I am? Karma could be a transcendent understanding. I often experience the doctrine of karma as a frighteningly simplistic, anodyne point of view.

It's funny how these musings seem almost incomprehensible even to me, like I am transcribing something from a different language into another language that I don’t know either.  But I am enjoying writing about these things; it feels comforting.  I am certain that for many a belief in reincarnation offers comfort.  As the size of my remaining time in this body continues to be more and more palpable as it shrinks, the answer to my question “why not believe it?” gets closer to “no reason not to”.  I mean really, are you kidding me? Consider: The number of grains of sand on all of the earth; the number of suns in the universe; the thing that happened for you just at the right time; the mysterious mystery of the next thing one could conjure up to put in this list. I don’t think I will ever grok applying reason to such a thing as brainless consciousness.  Not believing is as baseless as believing. As Bob Dylan sang, you’ve “gotta serve somebody”.  Why is it that I lean toward judging those who believe in brainless consciousnesses as being deluded?  That’s a question for another day, as I look at my own delusions and widen the field of my exploration.

On the path

Good alternative to a cell phone screen

A bridge of cedar roots

Walking or seated meditation happens here

The fog obscures the world beyond, on our morning of re-entry


Comments

  1. Make sure you enter your name in the "comment as" section before hitting "publish".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob: I enjoyed your thoughts about reincarnation. I suppose they should be on my mind as I reach 97 on Friday. If you have to make a choice before you leave my days are numbered. My wife, dead 33 years now and like me, did not believe in it. But once she told me that if there was anything to it she wanted to come back as a black duck. And she was a person who did not like airplanes. So every time I see a black duck overhead I wave hello just in case.

      Delete
    2. That's wonderful Burk. I hope you see a black ducks frequently!

      Delete
  2. 1. Excellent post. I'm contemplating the meaning of "brainless consciousness," brainlessly.
    2. I hope you didn't get the pots and pans duty.
    3. Some would capitalize "professor," an idea that amuses me.
    Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to avoid the pots and pans, but failed. For some reason "pre-lunch dishwashing" didn't sound like "main pot and pan washing session of the day". There you go. Karma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,

    This brings up so many thoughts and feelings; as always, I appreciate your shared experience. The idea of a silent retreat has always intrigued me, though I’ve never done one myself.

    The reference to brainless consciousness I found especially intriguing. Surely that must be a thing for plenty of life forms. In a sense, maybe we even experience that as humans as well (and I don’t mean bad driving habits). I tend to think of my conscious mind as my only form of consciousness, while I’m also convinced-- by that same conscious mind --that there are lots of other processes going on that could be called forms of thinking-dreams, emotions and intuitions, for example.

    I’m curious if there was a stated purpose for the silence, e.g. to drive self reflection, or create more openness to the concepts presented in the talks. I wonder if there’s any implication that many of our daily conversations are mainly distractions that serve little other purpose other than comfort. Or whether more practically, they help keep us on track, keep us from drifting too far down sketchy avenues of solo thought.

    Some years ago, a work colleague went on a silent retreat; he came back complaining of an unpleasant experience. He described uncomfortable, hot and downright ugly facilities, as well as a poorly timed retreat while his wife was experiencing some health concerns. Mostly, though, he seemed to have a hard time with the silence. For that reason I wanted to think perhaps it was a good or necessary experience for him, but maybe in truth it just wasn’t. Unlike you, he seemed to come away from it with nothing but mild resentment.

    Your experiences also remind me of my teen years, when I spoke very little to people I didn’t know. During a three-week wilderness experience, I probably uttered just a few sentences to people in the group I was in. This wasn’t anything deliberate, but the way I was at the time. It was a very different experience than it might’ve been; I listened acutely to others and still recall much of what was said by others. Combined with some physical rigor, there’s an utter clarity about those three nearly-silent weeks, a clarity I wouldn’t trade for a different experience.

    I’m skeptical of reincarnation, based mostly on lack of evidence. But there may be those who have an awareness I don’t. I wouldn’t mind the patient existence of a redwood tree, or a lot of other life forms. But I agree, it’s all difficult to imagine and there are so many more questions than answers. Thanks again. Randy



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rob, I missed this one. I’m amazed how synchronistic it is I’m seeing it today because it matches my thoughts I’ve had lately regarding such existential ideas or questions. I don’t believe it is possible that anybody really knows anything truthful or complete about the after life. Because we know so little about the reality we live in, how could anybody with normal consciousness possibly know. Oh I have brilliant ideas that could nearly convert an atheist to “spirituality”. But I’m quite certain they are wrong. I’m beginning to think, hey we’re just ants, so get back to your mindfulness practice and give love where you can.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Ideas

A very nice little story